School of Engineering
Institute for Materials and Processes
Professor Emeritus Christopher Hall
MA DPhil DSc (Oxford) CEng FRSC FIMMM
of Materials, The University of Edinburgh 1999-2010
Director, Centre for Materials
Science and Engineering 2000-2010
Director of Research, School of
Engineering and Electronics 2002-2008
Visiting Professor, School of Mechanical,
Aerospace and Civil Engineering, University of Manchester 1994-
Visiting Scientific Advisor, Schlumberger
Cambridge Research 1999-2005
Visiting Fellow, Princeton University 1998
Senior Member, Robinson College, Cambridge
Brian Mercer Senior Award, Royal
Visiting Scientist, DeltaMin
Curie Network 2009-2012
Scientific Advisory Board, The
Project, EURATOM 2011-2014
*** I am no longer accepting applications
for PhD, PDRA or internship positions.
My main scientific interests are in the
chemistry and physics of materials and geomaterials used in construction and
oilfield engineering, and the application of several advanced
experimental methods. I have worked extensively on capillary liquid
transport in porous construction materials (NMR imaging methods,
measurement of transport properties and modelling of capillary flow). At
present, my research activities are in experimental methods for studying
reactive transport and chemomechanical processes in complex inorganic
materials such as rocks and cement-based materials. Our recent work
includes the development of synchrotron-based diffraction tomography;
the application of scanning probe microscopy to mineral/water reactions;
the hydrothermal chemistry of materials under deep borehole conditions;
and engineering analysis and chemistry in archaeology and building
A Very Short Introduction [October 2014]
Water transport in brick, stone and concrete,
Second edition 2012, C Hall and W D Hoff. [Research
Polymer materials [Textbook]
- C Hall, W D Hoff, A Hamilton. Discussion of "Learning from
failure of a long curved veneer wall:Structural analysis and repair"
by Paulo B Lourenšo and PedroMedeiros. ASCE Journal of Performance of
Constructed Facilities 2014, v28, 629. [DOI]
- I M Griffin, C Hall, A Hamilton. Unusual water transport
properties of some traditional Scottish shale bricks. Materials and
Structures 2014, v47, 1761-1771. [DOI]
- C Hall, A Hamilton. Porosity-density relations in stone and
brick materials. Materials and Structures 2013 (online). [DOI]
- A Hamilton, C Hall. Mechanics of moisture-expansion
cracking in fired-clay ceramics. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics
2013, v46, 092003. [DOI]
- C Hall, A Hamilton, M A Wilson. The influence of
temperature on rehydroxylation [RHX] kinetics in archaeological
pottery. Journal of Archaeological Science 2013, v40, 305-312. [DOI]
- C Hall. Comment on "Source-like solution for radial imbibition
into a homogeneous semi-infinite porous medium".
Langmuir 2012, v28, 8587. [DOI]
- M A Wilson, A Hamilton, C Ince, M A Carter, C Hall.
Rehydroxylation [RHX] dating of archaeological pottery.
Proceedings of the Royal Society A 2012, v468, 3476-3493.
- C Hall. Comment on "Imbibition in layered systems of packed
beads" by Reyssat M et al. Europhysics Letters 2012, v98, 56003. [DOI]
- A Hamilton, C Hall. A review of rehydoxylation in
fired-clay ceramics. Journal of the American Ceramic Society
2012, v95, 2673-2678. [DOI]
- C Hall, W D Hoff. Moisture expansivity of fired-clay ceramic.
Journal of the American Ceramic Society 2012, v95, 1204-1207. [DOI]
- C Hall, W D Hoff. Water
in brick, stone and concrete. Second edition. Taylor &
Francis, London and New York, 2012.
- C Hall. M A Wilson, W D Hoff. Kinetics of long-term moisture
expansion in fired-clay brick. Journal of the American Ceramic Society
2011, v94, 3651-3654. [DOI]
- C Hall, A Hamilton, W D Hoff, H A Viles, J E Eklund. Moisture
dynamics of walls: Response to microenvironment and climate change.
Proceedings of the Royal Society A 2011, v467, 194-211. [DOI]
- A Hamilton, V Koutsos and C Hall. Direct measurement of
salt-mineral repulsion using atomic force microscopy. Chemical
Communications 2010, v46, 5235-5237. [DOI]
- C Hall. Fundamentals
materials. In Manual
Construction Materials, Institution of Civil Engineers, ch 1,
vol 1, 2010.
- C Hall. Engineering properties of materials. In Manual
Construction Materials, Institution of Civil Engineers, ch 2,
vol 1, 2010.
- N Meller, K Kyritsis, C Hall. The hydrothermal decomposition of
calcium monosulfoaluminate 14-hydrate to katoite hydrogarnet and
beta-anhydrite: an in-situ synchrotron X-ray diffraction study.
Journal of Solid State Chemistry 2009, v182, 2743-2747. [DOI]
- L Robinet, C Hall, K Eremin, S Fearn, J Tate. Alteration of
soda silicate glasses by organic pollutants in museums: Mechanisms and
kinetics. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 2009,
v355, 1479-1488. [DOI]
- M A Wilson, M A Carter, C Hall, W D Hoff, C Ince, S D Savage, B
McKay, I M Betts. Dating fired-clay ceramics using long-term power law
rehydroxylation kinetics. Proceedings of the Royal Society A 2009,
v465, 2407-2415. [DOI]
- K Kyritsis, N Meller, C Hall. Chemistry and morphology of
hydrogarnets formed in cement-based CASH hydroceramics cured at 200░
to 350░C. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 2009, v92,
- K Kyritsis, C Hall, D Bentz, N Meller, M A Wilson.
Relationship between engineering properties, mineralogy, and
microstructure in cement-based hydroceramic materials cured at
200░–350░C. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 2009, v92,
- N Meller, K Kyritsis, C Hall. The mineralogy of the CaO–Al2O3–SiO2–H2O
(CASH) hydroceramic system from 200 to 350 ░C. Cement and
Concrete Research 2009, v39, 45–53. [DOI]
- I D H Oswald, A Hamilton, C Hall, W G Marshall, T J Prior, C R
Pulham. In situ characterization of elusive salt hydrates: The crystal
structures of the heptahydrate and octahydrate of sodium sulfate.
Journal of the American Chemical Society 2008, v130, 17795-17800. [DOI]
- A Hamilton, C Hall, L Pel. Sodium sulfate heptahydrate: direct
observation of crystallization in a porous material. Journal of
Physics D: Applied Physics 2008, v41, 212002. [DOI]
- C Hall, A Hamilton. The heptahydrate of sodium sulfate:
Does it have a role in terrestrial and planetary geochemistry?
Icarus 2008, v198, 277-279. [DOI]
- S Savage, M A Wilson, M A Carter, B McKay, W D Hoff, C Hall.
Mass gain due to the chemical recombination of water in fired clay
brick. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 2008. [DOI]
- A Hamilton, C
Hall. Sodium sulfate heptahydrate: a synchrotron
energy-dispersive diffraction study of an elusive metastable
hydrated salt. Journal
of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry
2008, v23, 840-844. [DOI]
- I Ioannou, A Hamilton, C Hall. Capillary absorption of
water and n-decane by autoclaved aerated concrete. Cement and Concrete
Research 2008, v38, 766-771. [DOI]
- J. Skibsted, C.
Hall. Characterization of cement minerals, cements and their
reaction products at the atomic and nano scale. Cement
and Concrete Research
2008, v38, 205-225. [DOI].
- S D Savage, M A Wilson, M A Carter, W D Hoff, C Hall, B McKay.
Moisture expansion and mass gain in fired clay ceramics.: a two-stage
process. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 2008, v41, 055402.
- C Hall, W D Hoff. Rising damp: capillary rise dynamics in
walls. Proceedings of the Royal Society A 2007, v463, 1871-1884. [DOI].
- A Hamilton, C Hall. A note on the density of a calcium
silicate hydrate board material. Journal of Building Physics 2007,
v31, 69-70. [DOI]
- C Hall, W D Hoff, H-W Reinhardt, A Pfingstner, M A Wilson, L
Serino. Sequential imbibition of two immiscible liquids into
concrete. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 2007, v40,
- N C Collier, M A Wilson, M A Carter, WD Hoff, C Hall, R J Ball,
A El-Turki, G C Allen. Theoretical development and validation of a
Sharp Front model of the dewatering of a slurry by an absorbent
substrate. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 2007, v40,
- L Robinet, K. Eremin, C Coupry, C Hall, N Lacome. Effect
of organic acid vapors on the alteration of soda silicate glass.
Journal of Non-Crystallline Solids 2007, v353, 1546-1559. [DOI]
- C Hall. Anomalous diffusion in unsaturated flow -- fact or
fiction? Cement and Concrete Research 2006, November 2006. [DOI]
- L Robinet, C Coupry, K Eremin, C Hall. Raman investigation of
the structural changes during alteration of historic glasses by
organic pollutants. Journal of Raman Spectroscopy 2006, v37,
- L Robinet, C Coupry, K Eremin, C Hall. The use of Raman
spectrometry to predict the stability of historic glasses. Journal of
Raman Spectroscopy 2006, v37, 789-797. [DOI]
- C Vladu, C Hall, G C Maitland. Flow properties of freshly
prepared ettringite suspensions in water at 25 ░C. Journal of Colloid
and Interface Science 2006, v294, 466-472. [DOI]
- F Marica, Q Chen, A Hamilton, C Hall, T Al, B J Balcom.
Spatially resolved measurement of rock core porosity. Journal of
Magnetic Resonance, Oct 2005, v178. [DOI]]
- L Robinet, K Eremin, S Fearn, C R Pulham, C Hall. Understanding
glass deterioration in museum collections through Raman spectroscopy
and SIMS analysis. Materials Research Society Symposium
Proceedings 2005, v852, OO8.8.1-8.8.
- I Ioannou, C Hall, W D Hoff, V A Pugsley, S D M
Jacques.Synchrotron radiation energy-dispersive X-ray diffraction
analysis of salt distribution in LÚpine limestone. The Analyst 2005,
v130, 1006-1008. [DOI]
- N Meller, C Hall, J S Phipps. A new phase diagram for the
hydroceramic system at 200 ░C. Materials Research Bulletin 2005, v40,
- A Hamilton, C Hall. Physicochemical characterization of a
hydrated calcium silicate board material. Journal of Building
Physics 2005, v29, 9-19.
- S L Colston, P Barnes, A C Jupe, S D M Jacques, C Hall, P
Livesey, J Dransfield, N Meller, G C Maitland. An in situ
synchrotron energy-dispersive diffraction study of the hydration of
oilwell cement systems under high temperature/autoclave conditions up
to 130 ░C. Cement and Concrete Research 2005, v35, 2223-2232. [DOI]
- I Ioannou, W D Hoff, C Hall. On the role of organic adlayers in
the anomalous water sorptivity of Lepine limestone. Journal of Colloid
and Interface Science 2004, v279, 228-234.
- P Meredith, A M Donald, N Meller, C Hall. Tricalcium aluminate
hydration: Microstructural observations by in-situ electron
microscopy. Journal of Materials Science 2004, v39, 997-1005.
- N Meller, C Hall, A C Jupe, S L Colston, S D M Jacques, P
Barnes, J Phipps. The paste hydration of brownmillerite with and
without gypsum: a time resolved synchrotron diffraction study at 30,
70, 100 and 150 ░C. Journal of Materials Chemistry 2004, v14,
- S Roels, J Carmeliet, H Hens, O Adan, H Brocken, R Cerny, C
Hall, L Pel. A comparison of different techniques to quantify moisture
content profiles in porous building materials. Journal of Thermal
Envelope and Building Science 2004, v2, 261-276.
- J Carmeliet, H Hens, S Roels, O Adan, H Brocken, R Cernik, Z
Pavlik, C Hall. Determination of the liquid water diffusivity from
transient moisture transfer experiments. Journal of Thermal Envelope
and Building Science 2004, v27, 277-305. [DOI]
- S Roels, J Carmeliet, H Hens, O Adan, H Brocken, R Cerny, Z
Pavlik, C Hall. Interlaboratory comparison of hygric properties of
porous building materials. Journal of Thermal Envelope and Building
Science 2004, v27, 307-325.
- I Ioannou, C Hall, M A Wilson, W D Hoff, M A Carter.
Direct measurement of the wetting front capillary pressure in a clay
brick ceramic. Journal of Physics D; Applied Physics, 2003, v36,
- M A Wilson, W D Hoff, C Hall, B McKay, A Hiley. Kinetics of
moisture expansion in fired clay ceramics: a (time)1/4 law.
Physical Review Letters 2003, v90, 125503.
- C Hall, A Hunt. Sensing device transported by fluid flow.
British Patent no GB 2,352,042, 5 Mar 2002.
- C Hall, W D Hoff. Water Transport in Brick, Stone and Concrete,
Taylor and Francis, London 2002.[more...]
- J Skibsted, C Hall, H-J Jakobsen. Nuclear magnetic resonance
spectroscopy and magnetic resonance imaging of cements and
cement-based materials. In J Bensted and P Barnes (eds) Structure and
Performance of Cements, Second edn, Taylor and Francis London 2002.
- C Hall, D Bosbach. Scanning probe microscopy: a new view of the
mineral/water interface. In J. Skalny (ed.) Materials Science of
Concrete, vol 6, American Ceramic Society, pp 101-128.
- P Barnes, A C Jupe et al. Tomographic energy-dispersive
diffraction imaging of static and dynamic systems. Nondestructive
Testing and Evaluation 2001, v17, 143-167.
- A C Jupe, J K Cockcroft, P Barnes, S L Colston, G Sankar, C
Hall. The site occupation of Mg in the brownmillerite structure
and its effect on hydration properties. Journal of Applied
Crystallography 2001, v34, 55-61.
- C Hall. Unsaturated flow. Ion and Mass Transport in Concrete,
Materials Science of Concrete Special Volume, American Ceramic
Society, 2001, pp 29-57.
- C Hall. Material analysis. United States Patent no 6,072,853 6
June 2000. [.pdf title page]
- S C Taylor, C Hall, W D Hoff, M A Wilson. Partial wetting in
capillary liquid absorption by limestones. Journal of Colloid and
Interface Science 2000, v224, 351-357. [abstract]
- C Hall, S L Colston, A C Jupe, S D M Jacques, R Livingston, A O
A Ramadan, A W Amde, P Barnes. Non-destructive energy-dispersive
diffraction imaging of the interior of bulk concrete. Cement and
Concrete Research 2000, v30, 491-495.
- P Barnes, S Colston, B Craster, C Hall, A Jupe, S Jacques, J
Cockcroft, S Morgan, M Johnson, D O'Connor, M Bellotto. Time- and
space-resolved dynamic studies on ceramic and cementitious materials.
Journal of Synchrotron Radiation 2000, v7, 167-177.
School of Engineering
The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh EH9 3JL
+44 07798 790048 mobile